THURSDAY SWIMMING POOLS CARE AND MAINTENANCE -
FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL WINTERIZATION AND POOL OPENINGS
2-15-2023 Before the snow starts to fall, your Thursday fiberglass swimming pool -must be protected. The better you prepare for its -winterization, the easier it will be when you open up the fiberglass swimming pool next spring.
Artistic Development Landscaping & Fiberglass Pools will perform a thorough water balance check to ensure a proper closing. Along with properly sanitized and oxidized water, pH & Alkalinity balance are an important part to a properly winterized Latham fiberglass swimming pool.
- Don't drain your Thursday inground fiberglass swimming pool. Although you will lower the in ground swimming pool water level, don't drain the fiberglass swimming pool. You will save the expense of replacing Thursday fiberglass swimming pool water and chemicals, and you'll also protect your in ground pool from the pressure on pool walls as the ground water freezes and expands during the winter months.
- Check pH. Bring it to the 7.2-7.6 range. Check and adjust Alkalinity, bring it to the 80-150 range.
- Add a winterizing dose of E-Z CLOR® - SNAP® or Baquacil®. Run the filter for one or two days (24-48 hours).
- Clean the Latham swimming pool stain formation by adding a winterizing dose Stain preventer, helps to prevent metals in the water and plumbing from causing stains when the water turns colder.
- Lower water level to just below the skimmers to aid in "blowing" water from the plumbing to protect them from freezing.
- Protect your equipment to prevent damage from freezing. The most effective way to protect swimming pool pumps is to drain the water by removing
drain plugs, and flushing with "Swimming Pool Anti-Freeze". Do not use Any type of automotive antifreeze, it is toxic to animals and humans,
and will require draining and cleaning the Thursday fiberglass swimming pool to remove it.
- Your final cleaning of the season should be your best work. Leave the pool water crystal clear to ensure a easier opening next spring. A thorough sand filter backwashing should be done to extend Filter Media life. Remove and clean Cartridge Filter Elements. Backwash DE filter remove and clean Elements.
- Drain the Leisure fiberglass swimming pool filter, valves, lines and gauges. Refer
to manufacturer's instructions for help with each
piece of equipment.
- Protect the swimming pool lines and skimmers. Use a "Shop Vac" style vacuum cleaner on the blower setting. To blow water from the plumbing lines. Add an environmentally friendly antifreeze approved for use in Latham fiberglass swimming pools. Do not use automotive antifreeze. The antifreeze solution you put in your lines this fall will circulate through your Thursday fiberglass swimming pool next spring--use the right stuff! Shut off the valve on a gas heater at both ends of the line unless your model requires leaving a pilot light on. Again, check your owner's manual.
- Install Gizzmo® Crushable containers in the skimmers to prevent freeze damage when the Leisure fiberglass swimming pool water level raises from the winter precipitation.
Your Latham in ground fiberglass swimming pool is the best pool modern technology can produce. By utilizing the following directions regarding care and maintenance of your fiberglass pool you will have many years of swimming pool enjoyment.
FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL WATER LEVEL
ALWAYS maintain a water level of at least 3 inches above the bottom of the skimmer opening.
IF the Leisure fiberglass swimming pool water level should rise above the top of the skimmer opening the filter system will be unable to skim the Thursday fiberglass swimming pool surface for floating debris. Should this occur, simply drain the water until the proper level is reached (refer to filter section).
If the Thursday fiberglass swimming pool water level should drop below the skimmer turn the filter pump off and re-fill immediately! PROLONGED USAGE OF FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL PUMP OPERATING AT THIS LEVEL CAN CAUSE UN-WARRANTED DAMAGE TO THE PUMP.
A. REGULAR INSPECTION OF THE CARTRIDGE FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL FILTER
Check the filter cartridge by sight at least once every two weeks. Clean when necessary. When the water inlet pressure seems reduced or when the filter pressure gauge increases by four pounds, this is an indication of a dirty filter.
B. CLEANING OF FILTER CARTRIDGE
- TURN THE PUMP OFF.
- Remove any filter components necessary for removal of the filter cartridge. If the filter cartridge seems difficult to remove, try lifting the cartridge out with a slight rocking, twisting motion.
- Hold the cartridge in an upright position, using a garden hose equipped with a pressure nozzle, spray downward into the pleats flushing the debris and trash from the cartridge. DO NOT USE A BRUSH ON THE FILTER CARTRIDGE, this will damage the filter. If this procedure does not clean filter completely, use the methods described under PERIODIC CLEANING OF FILTER.
- With the HAYWARD FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL PUMP OFF, re-install the filter cartridge into the filter compartment. Then re-install the fiberglass swimming pool filter components, being sure that all parts are clean and seated properly.
C. PERIODIC CLEANING OF FILTER
IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE CARTRIDGE UNDERGO A
THOROUGH CLEANING TWICE A YEAR. This may prevent a major build-up of stubborn residues which will cause inefficiency or make the filtering operation of the cartridge work incorrectly or not at all. Listed below are 3 typical filter cleaning problems and solutions :
- If the cartridge is coated with a hard, solid material it may indicate a calcium build up on the fabric. Soak the cartridge in a solution of four parts water and one part muriatic acid in a plastic container for 2 to 4 hours. Rinse the cartridge thoroughly before replacing it into the filter tank.
- If suntan lotions or body oils are used, an oily substance may be found on the filter cartridge. This can be removed by soaking the cartridge in a detergent soap solution or preferably a solution of tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) and water. (One cup to five gallons water) CASCADE dishwashing detergent contains TSP. Be sure to rinse thoroughly before placing it back into the filter compartment.
- If the cartridge is coated with algae, it should be soaked in a solution of one part chlorine and one part water in a plastic container. Rinse thoroughly before placing it back into the filter compartment.
IF the filter cartridge seems to be stained by stubborn dirt, try steps 2,3, and then step 1. Your cartridge theoretically filters better with age if it is taken care of on a regular basis.
IN GROUND FIBERGASS SWIMMING POOL HAYWARD PUMP
An automatic timer is provided with your Latham fiberglass swimming pool to turn the pump on and off daily. While there is no set number of hours required for filter operation, your objective should be to run the Hayward pool pump (filter) as long as necessary to maintain sparkling clear water. Normally, 6 hours is sufficient with a Latham fiberglass pool Your filter cartridge has the capacity to filter 18,000 gallons in a 6 hour period.
During peak summer months it may be necessary to increase the hours of operation from 8 to 10 hours per day. THE THURSDAY SWIMMING POOL PUMP SHOULD RUN DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS WHEN THE SUN IS HOT, SINCE ALGAE WILL TEND TO GROW IN WARM STAGNANT WATER. Hayward Filter operation and chemical usage should normally be lass in the winter and during periods when weather is cool and overcast. Periodically you should clean out the leaf basket in the pump.
Turn the Hayward pump cover, clean "O" ring thoroughly to prevent any debris from causing air to enter the pump. Make sure the "O" ring seal is in place and re-install the pump cover. IF the Hayward pool pump does not prime in short time, turn off pump, remove cover and fill with water, re-close cover, re-start Hayward pump.
VACUUMING YOUR LATHAM FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL
Properly balanced Latham fiberglass swimming pool water should be clear enough so that the deepest point of the Leisure fiberglass pool is visible from the surface.
Begin by skimming debris off the top with leaf net and sweeping down the sides of the fiberglass swimming pool with the brush. The following instructions are step by step as to how to vacuum your Thursday fiberglass swimming pool:
- Turn the HAYWARD SWIMMING POOL PUMP OFF.
- Turn CONTROL PLATE to VACUUM position.
- Attach VACUUM POLE to VACUUM SWEEP HEAD.
- Attach one end of VACUUM HOSE to VACUUM HEAD.
- Place the vacuum pole, sweep head, hose combination in deep end of the Viking pool. Keeping pole stationary push rest of hose down into water until end of hose has the swimming pool water coming up and out of it. Keeping hose under water (to keep air out of hose) guide through skimmer opening on side of the swimming pool and then into the hole in the center of the skimmer.
- Turn Hayward pool pump on. If the hose has any air in it, it will pass through the pump usually without the pump losing it's prime.
- Start vacuuming in the deep end of the pool first. Vacuum the Ltham swimming pool in slow easy motions so that the water is not stirred up enough to impair your vision.
- Unless the Thursday fiberglass pool is extremely dirty, you should be able to vacuum the entire pool without cleaning the filter during the procedure.
- After you have completed vacuuming, turn the Hayward pool pump off and remove the vacuum equipment from the swimming pool.
- Refer to the Hayward filter section for filter cleaning instructions.
STORAGE OF VACUUM HOSE: It is recommended that you do not hang the hose on any kind of hook or leave it in the sun. The hose will tend to crack or split due to this type of storage.
CLEANING OF THURSDAY FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOLS
Use a damp sponge or rag to wipe clean dust or dirt marks. Scotchbrite pads made by 3M do an excellent job. If you have stubborn spots on the coping or around the water line, most household cleaners may be used. We especially recommended Soft Scrub.
On occasion you may find a stain which cannot be removed by normal means. You may use a mild abrasive cleaner or a piece of very fine (600 grit) Wet/Dry Sandpaper.
NOTE: DO NOT USE BRILLO PADS OR ACETONE.
ASK ABOUT OUR CHLORINE FREE SWIMMING POOL SYSTEM - CL FREE WATER SYSTEM
THURSDAY FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL WATER TREATMENT
Thursday fiberglass pool water clarity is easily maintained when adequate chlorine and P.H. levels are kept throughout the year. Swimming pool water testing with a test kit at least twice weekly should indicate the existing chlorine and P.H. levels in your Latham swimming pool water. IT IS NECESSARY THAT in addition to your weekly P.H. and chlorine tests, YOUR WATER BE ANALYZED BY A PROFESSIONAL POOL SERVICE ORGANIZATION AT LEAST ONCE EVERY THREE MONTHS. After the initial start up by you must have your water analyzed professionally and then maintain your water within the following recommended range. Take this sheet with you when you have your water analyzed. Request readings be printed out so that they can be compared with our recommended ranges.
CHLORINE 1.0 ppm
P.H. 7.4 ppm
TOTAL ALKALINITY 60 ppm to 80 ppm
CALCIUM HARDNESS 350 ppm
STABILIZER CYANURIC (CONDITIONER) 60 ppm
SHOCK YOUR THURSDAY FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL ONLY AS NEEDED, WHEN CHLORINE LEVEL IS LOWER THAN 1.0 ppm
The correct treatment of fiberglass swimming pool water and water balance will insure you many years of Thursday swimming pool pleasure. However, Imbalanced swimming pool water will result in increased chemical cost and Fiberglass pool staining. Regular care and maintenance of your Latham fiberglass pool will result in swimming pool pleasure.
NEVER ATTEMPT TO EMPTY YOUR THURSDAY FIBERGLASS SWIMMING POOL. THIS SHOULD BE DONE BY A LICENSED FIBERGLASS POOL CONTRACTOR OR SERVICE COMPANY